At Rowse, we know that each jar of Manuka must have a substantial amount of MGO to be an authentic manuka and we would recommend buying Manuka with a minimum of 100+ MGO.
As there are no UK guidelines to classify Manuka honey, we recognise that it can be difficult to shop products and compare them.
However, a widely supported definition of authentic Manuka exists. It was set up by UMF Honey Association and determines the minimum quantity of naturally occurring chemicals only found in the nectar of the Manuka flowers that must be present in the honey to be authenticated as Manuka.
The definition states that there are two key requirements for a honey to be authentic Manuka:
- Methylglyoxal (MGO): Present at > 83mg/kg (=83+ MGO) to measure potency
- Leptosperin: Present at >100mg/kg to measure authenticity
At Rowse, we recognise 83+ MGO is the official UMF threshold, but we choose to offer you a range of manuka honeys with ratings of 100+MGO, 250+ MGO and 500+ MGO for complete peace of mind.
You might also be familiar with the NPA rating which relates to the amount of Non-Peroxide Activity there is within the Manuka honey. NPA is a measurement of MGO and below are the equivalents:
- Rowse Manuka 100+ MGO = 6+ NPA
- Rowse Manuka 250+ MGO = 10+ NPA
- Rowse Manuka 500+ MGO = 15+ NPA
Our Rowse Guarantee:
- 100% authentic & natural Manuka honey from New Zealand
- Sourced exclusively from selected New Zealand beekeepers, providing full traceability
- Independently tested twice for authenticity & strength: at source & here in the UK
If you're interested to read more about Manuka, we've got more for you here.